Logan and rural cyberpunk.


While Logan is mainly a character driven superhero film with strong western inspirations, there is also something else to it that I really enjoy.There is a strong undercurrent of what I geuss you can call rural cyberpunk in the film.-The whole borderlands, later mid-west setting, the gradual decay of "small town america"-The munson family, and their struggles with their water-supply. The relative powerlessness of farmers.-Massive automation of vehicles like combines and trucks.-Big agriculture.I have grown up on the countryside and worked in agriculture so these themes resonate strongly with me. It feels closer to reality than the somewhat idealized and nostalgic "family homestead" idea.The whole business is very cyberpunk, "old and new " side by side. Radical and rapid technological and volatile political changes, bureaucracy. Lots of corporate politics. "Punk" modified and improvised technology and so on. Both high tech, cutting edge science and "redneck" low life.I mean, when you are operating a GPS guided tractor amidst abandoned, weathered small farms spreading fertilizer on genetically engineered crops in the evening surrounded by the cab's glowing screens, I can't think of anything else.I think this might be one of the reasons why cyberpunk appeals to me.

Comentários