I tend to root for the Corporations in Cyberpunk. Do you?


Orderly, powerful, antagonistic; and yet fueled by the excesses of the very people that rail against them.I've always felt there was a certain irony to the standard cyberpunk story. A man at the bottom fights against the system that holds him down, and yet I find that the system is often the most human entity in the story.Like the child at the bottom of Omelas, the Corporations are both the result of human desires and the vehicle through which their desired future is achieved. The people in the story like to pretend that Omni-Cola and Militech and HollyCorp are faceless evil entities that must be opposed at all costs... while they sip their sodas and fondle their guns and happily chat online with their computer friends about the upcoming movie.There's always a dream of a better system. "If the right people were in charge it would be better." or "If we made better technology we could fix everyone's problems." But the dream isn't real, and the system is. And the system exists because the sum actions of a billion regular people put it in place.Regular people. Individual people. You and me.That's why I can't help but feel a pang of empathy when the hero turns around and sees the faceless minions of the corporation.We are those minions. We are the corporation.The hero isn't the flaw in the system. We are the flaw in the system, and we are why the system is flawed. That's why I root for the system, because whether or not it's good or evil I can't pretend that I am not a part of it.I have to root for myself.

Comentários